WatchDirectory home page
WatchDirectory Startseite (Deutsche Version)
Site WatchDirectory (Français)
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Automatically Rename Files Not Understanding Move (Read 4850 times)
streamdispatch
YaBB Newbies

Automatically Rename Files Not Understanding Move
Jul 1st, 2008 at 1:57am

I have a question on renaming files that I don't seem to come across in searching this forum although it seems very basic.

On the first part of the Automatically Rename Files plugin - I put in a few parameters for Old and New Values. It's the "Move to Filename [including directory] part that I'm trying to figure out. Let me explain what I need and see if I'm going about this right.

I don't need to Move any files period. Basically this program will be run on one computer and checking a network drive for pdf and doc file types to rename with the Old/New value parameters.  There will be many subfolders in this watched folder. The intention is for these files to NOT move anywhere - to follow the Old/New value parameters, rename the file and stay put.

That said - if you leave the Move to Filename blank - it won't let you go next. What details do I need to put into Move to Filename to keep all files renamed in the "same folder as entered" mode?

Thx!

IP Logged

streamdispatch
YaBB Newbies

Re: Automatically Rename Files Not Understanding M
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 2:04am

this may be in the wrong forum - probably should be in How To. My apologies - if Admin can move this.

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2008 at 7:07am

This forum is fine.

I guess you need to enter something like
Code:
C:\{monitoreddir}\{relativedir}\{filename} 

as the "move to" destination.

You should make very sure that this "new file" is not detected by the same task again by appropriate use of filters.

Gert

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

streamdispatch
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 12:38am

Gert. Thanks for your speedy reply but for some reason I can't get my head around this.

The trial of this (if I can get this to work - I'll buy this in a heartbeat) is running on a computer we'll call Computer 1.

It is monitoring a network path in the Directory to Watch folder - the path is \\storemore\Storage\AVIRoot2\-_PREP_-\test. This path leads to Computer 2.

If I put in C:\{monitoreddir}\{relativedir}\{filename} and put a txt file that has a comma in it (which has been designated to be replaced with a "-", the file gets processed per the Filter Event but it goes somewhere where I have no idea. It shows up in the message in the Control Center, the View History shows nothing and I look for C:\MonitoredDir\ on the drive of Computer 1 and 2 and do not find this file.

Basically there are two examples of what I'm looking to do with this.

Say there's a PDF in this path: \\storemore\Storage\AVIRoot2\-_PREP_-\Mobar\LawVid08\Course Materials, John Williams&Joe.pdf

This would be renamed to: \\storemore\Storage\AVIRoot2\-_PREP_-\Mobar\LawVid08\Course_Materials-_John_Will
iams-Joe.pdf

The Old and New Values are no sweat - it's getting the Move to Filename down as I don't want to Move the file at all but simply monitor \\storemore\Storage\AVIRoot2\-_PREP_-\ and all of it's subfolders for new pdf and doc files that are set up in the Filter Events and when they hit any subfolder - it will automatically rename these files.

I also tried \\storemore\Storage\AVIRoot2\-_PREP_-\{monitoreddir}\{relativedir}\{filename}\{m
onitoreddir}\{relativedir}\{filename} in the Move to Filename field and the behaviour was the same as C:\{monitoreddir}\{relativedir}\{filename} when I put a file in - it shows up in Control Center Last Message as identified - disappears from the test folder and goes somewhere I have no idea - not on Computer 1 or Computer 2 on the C Drive in any created folder that is indicative of anything relating to the input.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reid

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 7:54am

Reid,

Hard to say from here....
Can you create a backup of this task:
* stop the task
* right-click it
* select the option "Backup selected task"

Please email me the ZIP this creates so I can have a look.

Gert

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

streamdispatch
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 6:35pm

I just figured it out! Thanks though Gert. Getting my credit card.

Reid

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1