WatchDirectory home page
WatchDirectory Startseite (Deutsche Version)
Site WatchDirectory (Français)
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
wD sometimes gives up without retrying connection (Read 2595 times)
aaronbiab
YaBB Newbies

wD sometimes gives up without retrying connection
Mar 13th, 2011 at 5:16pm

Hi Gert (and all),

Every couple weeks, our Copy Files task gives up without retrying the connection to its watched directory.

Our Copy Files task copies from another server using a UNC, [tt]\\webserver\dir$\subdir[/tt]. It runs 24/7 as a Windows service, the service logon has the appropriate permissions, and almost always it works great.

[tt]\\webserver[/tt] gets rebooted every day at 4:27 AM, and takes 2-3 minutes to do so. The Copy Files task is configured to retry connection 30 times, at 60-second intervals, when it can't connect. Almost every morning, this works fine: at 4:27 AM and 4:28 AM, we get WARNING emails (Error Code 53, "The network path was not found", "will retry after 60 seconds"), at 4:29 AM, we get an ERROR email (Error Code 161, "The specified path is invalid", "will retry after 60 seconds"), and by 4:30 AM [tt]\\webserver[/tt] is back online so watchDirectory finds the directory and all is ok again.

[b]But[/b] last night, instead of retrying, the 4:27 AM email said "[b]Gave up monitoring directory after 30 retries[/b]."  Obviously it [i]hasn't[/i] retried 30 times, at least not today.

The last time this happened was 10 days ago. Could it be that wD isn't resetting the number-of-retries counter each morning, so that every 10 days, the counter reaches 30 retries (three each morning) and gives up? If that's the case, is there any way to tell wD to reset that counter each day so it doesn't fail every two weeks or so? Or maybe the problem is something else altogether.

Please help!

Thanks so much,
Aaron

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Re: wD sometimes gives up without retrying connect
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2011 at 6:01pm

Hi Aaron,

I just checked the code. If it is every 10 days, that looks like a coincidence.

I think I do see a path through the code where the retry-count is not reset for tasks that have almost nothing to do (hardly any events), is it possible your task is like that?
Gert

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

aaronbiab
YaBB Newbies

Re: wD sometimes gives up without retrying connect
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2011 at 1:48am

Hi Gert,

Thanks for the quick reply. The load on this task varies: sometimes it handles just a few events per day, but other days there are hundreds. On the weekends typically there are no events at all (but once in a while there are weekend updates, so I can't stop the task on weekends).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1