WatchDirectory home page
WatchDirectory Startseite (Deutsche Version)
Site WatchDirectory (Français)
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Always grab specific files... (Read 2027 times)
lflesher
YaBB Newbies

Always grab specific files...
Jun 24th, 2011 at 8:56pm

Hello all,

I want to zip up copies of the Event Viewer logs once a day.  .evtx files never show signs of change (once they're maxed out they stay the same size, and the date almost never updates).  But I know they're being updated, so I just want to take a zip of the files once per day (and later email them).

What is the best way to do this?  I've experimented around, but once the file has been zipped the first time, WatchDirectory never wants to do it again.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Smiley

Luna

IP Logged

Dirk
YaBB Administrator

South Germany
Re: Always grab specific files...
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 9:52pm

Hi Luna,

as you already have noticed Watchdirectory reacts on new or changed files. If there is no file change Watchdirectory will never has a chance to do something.
In your case the best would be to use a command line zip program (WinZip or 7zip or something else) together with the Windows task scheduler and let it zip your event log file at a specific time.
When the zip is created you can use Watchdirectory again to send the zip by email (monitor the zip directory with the email plugin and a filter "extension = zip").

Viele Grüße / Best regards
Dirk - GdP Software

dirk [at] gdpsoftware [dot] com
http://blog-de.gdpsoftware.com
Webseite: http://www.gdpsoftware.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

lflesher
YaBB Newbies

Re: Always grab specific files...
Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2011 at 7:50pm

Ok, thanks Dirk.  I was hoping to do all my tasks with one tool, but I'll use scheduler.  Thanks! Smiley

Luna

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1