WatchDirectory home page
WatchDirectory Startseite (Deutsche Version)
Site WatchDirectory (Français)
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Word backup files (Read 8395 times)
james_k_p
YaBB Newbies

Word backup files
Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:05am

Hey All,

I have been running 3 copies of watchdirectory on 3 PCs.  It's set to copy any word perfect x3 "timed backup" files to a directory, and the same for Word 2010.

On one of them, and of course this is my boss', I've never set it to do the Word timed backups, just word perfect as that's what she primarily uses.

Well today she accidentally closed a file she worked on all day, and wanted me to get her file back and of course, I couldn't.

So now I'm attempting to setup the copy rule on her's to do Word2010 timed backup files.  For some reason, it won't work.  It works fine on the other 2 computers.  I checked the settings and they are identical.  If I drop any file into monitor directory, it gets copied, but when Word creates this file, watchdir seems to ignore it.  If I copy the same file timed backup file into the directory, it works.  

The only difference is before I did this, I updated to the latest version(4.6.6.8) from 4.6.5 I believe.  I know this should work cause as I said, I have it working on 2 other computers.  These files have nothing special going on, just normal .asd files from word.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I read on other posts about enabling debug, running it and having it not work, then backing up and posting, so it's attached.
James

[attachment removed by Mod]
« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2011 at 8:32am by Dirk »  

IP Logged

james_k_p
YaBB Newbies

Re: Word backup files
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:35am

I looked in the log after posting and see it erroring saying ~WRD0000.tmp doesn't exist anymore.  I guess maybe word writes that first before putting the "AutoRecovery save of Document1.asd" file there, which is what I want to copy, and maybe since the log says something about event removed after it, I went in a set a filter to look only for files starting with "auto", and it STILL doesn't work.  Here is the backup attached.

Hey All,

I have been running 3 copies of watchdirectory on 3 PCs.  It's set to copy any word perfect x3 "timed backup" files to a directory, and the same for Word 2010.

On one of them, and of course this is my boss', I've never set it to do the Word timed backups, just word perfect as that's what she primarily uses.

Well today she accidentally closed a file she worked on all day, and wanted me to get her file back and of course, I couldn't.

So now I'm attempting to setup the copy rule on her's to do Word2010 timed backup files.  For some reason, it won't work.  It works fine on the other 2 computers.  I checked the settings and they are identical.  If I drop any file into monitor directory, it gets copied, but when Word creates this file, watchdir seems to ignore it.  If I copy the same file timed backup file into the directory, it works. 

The only difference is before I did this, I updated to the latest version(4.6.6.8) from 4.6.5 I believe.  I know this should work cause as I said, I have it working on 2 other computers.  These files have nothing special going on, just normal .asd files from word.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I read on other posts about enabling debug, running it and having it not work, then backing up and posting, so it's attached.
James

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2011 at 8:32am by Dirk »  

IP Logged

Dirk
YaBB Administrator

South Germany
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 8:31am

Hi James,
Word is sometimes weird when saving files.
First, please make a filter that exclude any temp word files. Temp word files always starts with a ~, so best would be to create a filter "do not process any file starting with ~".
Please also switch to "default monitor method" and do not start the task as a windows service (only for now to get it to run, we will go back to windows service later).
After that, start the task, copy one docx-file by hand in watched folder and let word save one file with a different name there. If it is still not working, send me the task backup by mail (see footer) and let me know which file was copied manually and which one was saved using word.

Viele Grüße / Best regards
Dirk - GdP Software

dirk [at] gdpsoftware [dot] com
http://blog-de.gdpsoftware.com
Webseite: http://www.gdpsoftware.com
WWW WWW  
IP Logged

james_k_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 3:15pm

Same behavior, the file I dropped in the monitor directory worked fine, text.dox.

The backup file automatically created by word did not, AutoRecovery save of Document1.asd.

I did exclude any file beginning with ~ and set it to manual run and started it just as you said, along with the default monitoring method.  Here is the backup file.

IP Logged

Dirk
YaBB Administrator

South Germany
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 3:36pm

As far as I see, your Word is always reading/writing an "autorecovery" asd file, which is locked by word (see screenshot)
Please make sure that your word is not holding any autorecovery. Delete/Move away any asd-file you found in your docs folder.

Start a plain word, no "recovery"-windows should appear, write some letters and save it in that folder.
From the view of watchDirectory it doesn't matter if you copy the file by hand or an applicatuon do it - but the file must be "free" - no lock is allowed.

screenshot.jpg (107 KB | )
screenshot.jpg

Dirk - GdP Software

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

james_k_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:38pm

I understand that.  That that doesn't change that something is different on this machine from 2 others that it's working fine on with the same version of word and all.  

It just doesn't make sense.  I can personally go to that file while word has it "locked" and copy it anywhere I'd like.  If it wouldn't let the watchdir, it shouldn't let me either right?

Back to what you're instructing me....I'm not following.  What do you mean "Start a plain word, no "recovery"-windows should appear"?
How do I do that?  

Also, would giving you the log of a machine that has had this working for months help?

Thanks

IP Logged

james_k_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:52pm

Also, is there anyway you can give me another 30 day key for my PC?  I used the trial on my machine way back when while evaluating your product, and now that I'd like to install to troubleshoot and try different things, it tells me the evaluation is over.  Thanks.

IP Logged

james_k_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 4:56pm

here's the backup file from a machine it's working on, although I didn't get to put it in debugging mode first.  The user is on the machine and I didn't want to interrupt them for too long.

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2011 at 4:48pm by Dirk »  

IP Logged

Dirk
YaBB Administrator

South Germany
Reply #8 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 8:06pm

James,

do you agree with me that something is different on that machine?
When I open word and I had a crash or so, I see a "recovery window" at the left side of word where i am able to try to recover crashed documents.
Can you try to save a normal word file with the machine with the problems, but save it to the folder of one of the working machines? I bet we see the same problem than.

Of course you can have an extended test period, please contact me by mail (see footer).
I will look into your task tomorrow, it is late evening here in Europe now and I am tired

Dirk - GdP Software

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

james_k_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 8:14pm

Yeah, I guess I agree something is different.  I guess I'll have to rebuild it from scratch.

I'm not doing this to recover from crashes.  I'm doing this to recover from people mistakes.  My boss has a bad habit of not saving her work throughout the day, then closing the doc somehow and either Word not prompting her to save or her telling it no on accident, not sure how that's happening, but if you close Word properly, all autosaved backups are wiped out by Word.

Therefore using your product is my work around.  If word crashes, it always pulls them up fine.  Smiley

IP Logged

james_k_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - Sep 29th, 2011 at 10:07pm

Ok, after installing it on my PC, I learned a few things.

My PC experienced the same behavior, so I started looking closer at the machine's I "thought" it was working on.

I found what is going on and not working, but it is working.  Smiley  I'll explain.

Word on regular documents puts its autosaved documents in a folder you specify.  These files are the "autosaved copy of blah blah blah" mentioned above.  These are locked and cannot be copied.  I wish they could be, but your software can't.  They can be manually copied by dragging and dropping.

We use a document management software named Worldox here.  It appears that I guess built-in to the macro that integrates Word into Worldox, they store their timed backups in a subdirectory of the autosave directory you specify in Word's settings.

These timed backups CAN be copied.  So while doing my tests, I wasn't opening or working on any document within Worldox.  Just regular joe blow docs. 

So it appears it will work for me when she works on docs within our system.  So my solution works for us, but wouldn't for anyone else not in worldox, unless I can figure out how Worldox manipulates the autosave backup. 

Anyways, just wanted to share this info.  I'll update as I learn more.  Thanks for your assistance.

IP Logged

Dirk
YaBB Administrator

South Germany
Reply #11 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 1:14pm

James,

I tried to reproduce it here on my system now and need to say that I see exact the same that you are desribing above. When word writes .asd files WatchDirectory does not see thoses file. If I copy it manually it is seen and processed by WatchDirectory.
We need to look into it further - no promise to get it to work.

Dirk - GdP Software

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

Dirk
YaBB Administrator

South Germany
Reply #12 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 4:51pm

James,

please try the following:
At the "Others" tab switch to: "do not wait.."
Your .asd file should be copied now by WatchDirectory.

You should check if that copied file is valid and can read by Word.

Dirk - GdP Software

WWW WWW  
IP Logged

james_k_p
YaBB Newbies

Reply #13 - Sep 30th, 2011 at 5:47pm

Sure enough that fixed it!!!! 

I did test it (by putting it back in the autosave directory, then clicking within word File, Info, Manage versions button, Recover unsaved docs, and browse to the file). 

This is the important step, because if you don't put it back in the autosave directory, word will say it's an unsupported file.  (for those wanting to do the same thing that I'm doing).  Smiley

It opened fine and works just as I wanted it to.  I really appreciate you finding this option.  I was even playing around with this before I contacted you guys, but didn't choose that option lol.

This is great!  Have a good weekend!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1