WatchDirectory home page
WatchDirectory Startseite (Deutsche Version)
Site WatchDirectory (Français)
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Cannot Upload to FTP site (Read 5888 times)
vsx34
YaBB Newbies

Cannot Upload to FTP site
May 22nd, 2012 at 12:42am

I need to upload word documents (.doc and .docx) after saving a word document.

My software program creates a word document and then when I am finished with it, it will then save it. I need to upload the saved document to my ftp site and then move it to a different location.

I am having trouble with knowing exactly how to set it up. It looks like it should be easy, but I am struggling with:

filter events: I want it to upload a file that contains "JPS" and is a .doc or .docx document.

Do I choose file title (file) or file name (file.txt)

Events: Do I choose filenew or filecnhg (since my program creates a new word document, I edit it, and then save it - should I choose filecnhg?

Thank you in advance for your help.
VSX

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Re: Cannot Upload to FTP site
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2012 at 7:51am

Hi,

I also received your email with (slightly) different info, I'll answer here.

I see some potential problems...
Word typically does not apply changes when you edit an existing file, it goes through a process creating temporary files, deleting the original and renaming the temp file to the original name. To work properly in your setup, I think you should let your program save to one directory (C:\NewWordDocs) and there you edit the files and save them to a different directory when you're done (C:\MonitoredByWD). This second directory is (obviously) monitored by WatchDirectory.

How to setup:
Filter Events (also see attached picture):
filter 1: filename starts with ~ then the event is NOT processed
filter 2: filename matches *JPS*.doc then the event is processed
filter 3: filename matches *JPS*.docx then the event is processed
make sure to select the option "all other files/directories are ignored"

Monitoring method:
use the Polling method

Events:
only select the FILENEW option

fe.png (25 KB | )
fe.png

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

vsx34
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2012 at 9:03pm

The particular software program that I am using (DocShuttle Client) actually creates a word document based on a profile screen, names the word document, and then opens it for me to work on the file. I then save the document once it is complete by using Ctrl S to save. I do not have to rename the document in this software program.

I understand what you are saying about the temp files. I have noticed this when I use word outside of the DocShuttle program. When I am not using DocShuttle, I am already in word and I create a new document based off a template. When I am done with the document, I save and then have to name it, and then it gets saved.

For the purposes of using Watch Directory, I am using DocShuttle program.

I am going to try your suggestions and see what happens.

Thank you for your help. p.s. I am not very good at explaining myself sometimes. Thank you for helping me.

I had a filter set up for jps and a second one for .doc and .docx so I changed it to have one filter for *jps*.doc and another filter for *jps*.docx.

IP Logged

vsx34
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2012 at 12:06am

Finally Success!!!

I did the second part of your suggestion which was to move the finished file to a new location and PERFECT!!!

Success!!!

Thank you!

VSX34 Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1