WatchDirectory home page
WatchDirectory Startseite (Deutsche Version)
Site WatchDirectory (Français)
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
FTP doesn't create empty folders (Read 3290 times)
josesmith
YaBB Newbies

FTP doesn't create empty folders
Apr 11th, 2013 at 5:19pm

I'm trying to use WatchDirectory to FTP upload a small folder structure of client files after hours from a network share.  I've run into a few questions:

1) Sometimes folders in this structure will be empty and I want the empty folders to be created on the destination.  I've set the FTP upload plugin with the option "Create the same directory structure on the FTP server"; however, the folders that are empty are skipped and so I don't get the same directory structure on the FTP server.

2) I only want the uploading to take place overnight--not during business hours.  I've tried setting the scheduler to only run tasks between the hours of midnight and 6am every day of the week. However, it seems to run all day anyway.  I've tried stopping the service on a schedule; however, files that are copied to the shared folder when the service is not running are not detected when WatchDirectory starts up, even though I have the "When starting up, check for missed events" option turned on.  I'm using the Polling monitoring method as these files are on a network share.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  This looks to be a fantastic program that should do what I need. I feel like I'm just missing something in the setup.

Thank you,

Jose

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Re: FTP doesn't create empty folders
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:33pm

Hello Jose,

That is correct. The FTP Upload task only reacts upon detected FILES (it will create FTP directories as needed).

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

josesmith
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:58pm

Ok, any thoughts on the scheduling issue or recognizing new files when the service starts?

2) I only want the uploading to take place overnight--not during business hours.  I've tried setting the scheduler to only run tasks between the hours of midnight and 6am every day of the week. However, it seems to run all day anyway.  I've tried stopping the service on a schedule; however, files that are copied to the shared folder when the service is not running are not detected when WatchDirectory starts up, even though I have the "When starting up, check for missed events" option turned on.  I'm using the Polling monitoring method as these files are on a network share.

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2013 at 11:32am

Hi,

This is how I would set it up.

First we need to "cleanup" the scheduler settings.
* Set the scheduler to "start immediately" (disable the scheduler)
* Right-click the task, select "Advanced", select "Compact history db"
This will cleanup the scheduled events of your current settings. You only need to do this once.

Change the scheduler settings again
Run tasks on these days.... between these hours...
Events outside these periods are ignored (!! make sure to select this) (A)

Change the "monitoring method"
Set it to "File Age", older than 1 minute.
Let it poll the directory every X minutes. I guess no new files will be created during the night, so you could set this very high (600 minutes), you probably need only one "scan" each night. (B)
The last "file age" option (Remember triggered files) depends on your FTP settings:
- if you move (or remove) uploaded files, you should not select the "remember triggered files" option
- if you do not move/remove uploaded files, you SHOULD select the  "remember triggered files" option (C)

That's about it.

Some notes about the reasons for above choices....
(A) If this is selected, the "scanning for new/changed files" part of WatchDirectory is disabled during the day.
(B) When a scheduled period starts, File Age will do an initial scan, so you could even set this to 24 hours.
(C) When "File Age" scans a file that is old enough (1 minute), it starts the task (upload). If the file is NOT removed and later on File Age sees the file again "remember triggered files" determines what should happen: upload again (remember "off") or skip this file (remember "on")

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1