WatchDirectory home page
WatchDirectory Startseite (Deutsche Version)
Site WatchDirectory (Français)
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
File Age method - stopping jobs (Read 1913 times)
crm0922
YaBB Newbies

File Age method - stopping jobs
May 9th, 2013 at 9:45am

Hi,

I'm seeing an issue when using the File Age method with the "Remember triggered files" option selected.

It appears that the history table is populated *before* the file is actually processed by the job action.  For example, if a job is copying 30 files, and you stop the task (or the server stops for whatever reason) while file #15 is being processed, the next time the job starts up again, the final 15 files are remembered as already triggered and are thus never copied.

This is quite a bad situation because it will inevitably result in missed files!

Can this be fixed?  It shouldn't log the file until, at the least, the desired task event is fired for the file in question.  Otherwise it is inevitable that a file will be missed at some point, and discovering that this situation has occurred could be very difficult.

An alternate (but less ideal) solution would be to have the triggered files that have not been processed cleared from the FILEAGE table before shutdown completes so that unprocessed files are detected the next time through the job.

For now, I'm going to write a SQLlite script that trims FILEAGE down to only files that appear in the WDEVENTS log, but this seems a bit ridiculous considering I could probably have written my own file-copying solution if I'm going to this much effort.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Re: File Age method - stopping jobs
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2013 at 1:54pm

This is from memory, but I think you are correct. The files that are old enough are immediately stored in the db.
I will see if this can be fixed.

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

crm0922
YaBB Newbies

Re: File Age method - stopping jobs
Reply #2 - May 10th, 2013 at 8:51pm

So...is fixing it something that will take a long time?  I'm also getting a periodic "EventCollector Thread - EXCEPTION" and the job becomes frozen.

I'm not feeling terribly confident in this product because of the clear design flaw in the file age logging and these weird "Exceptions".  At that point I can't even kill the job, it must be killed via task manager.   I've copied the jobs to new ones and I'm going to let them run and see if they crash again.

However, a decision is going to have to come soon as to whether we use this solution or not, thus my question about when the logging of file age might be synced to the events rather than the directory walk...

Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1