WatchDirectory home page
WatchDirectory Startseite (Deutsche Version)
Site WatchDirectory (Français)
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
PDF Print as a service on Windows Server 2012 (Read 5566 times)
Ron
YaBB Newbies

PDF Print as a service on Windows Server 2012
Oct 13th, 2014 at 9:07pm

Hello, I'm evaluating watchDirectory to solve a problem.  I am running into a problem I hope you have already seen.  I am running on a windows 2012 server as a service.  I have installed Adobe reader 11.0 and everything seems to be working, except nothing prints.  I can print from Acrobat when I log into the server.  The output logs and the WE Quick View all look like everything is working.  When I run Task manager I can see that reader starts.  I suspect reader is looking for a response from the "system" account when it starts since it is the first time it has been run from that account.  Maybe a message like "do you want to enable automatic updates", or "can't run in protected mode".  Is there a way I can prevent Reader from asking questions?

IP Logged

Ron
YaBB Newbies

Re: PDF Print as a service on Windows Server 2012
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2014 at 11:19pm

I just tried using the Foxit PDF tool and got closer.  It will print a PDF, but only the 1st PDF.  If I use task manager and end the FoxitReader task, the next PDF document will print.  The Adobe Reader service looks like it closes the task after a specified amount of time, but I don't see the same option for Foxit.  Is there a way to automatically close Foxit after it prints?

I'm getting closer.  With your help, maybe I'll have a viable solution and make a purchase.

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 6:04am

Hi,

Adobe Reader can be a bit quircky, I didn't hear about such problems with Foxit until now.....

Ok, here is how to implement a timeout for the foxit script. Below I assume your WD task is called "PrintPDF"....

First, make sure the PrintPDF task is stopped.
Now select the menu option "Tools -> Explore task directory"
This opens Windows Explorer, typically inside C:\ProgramData\WatchDirectory, this is the directory where WD stores all its settings.
Open the PrintPDF subdirectory
Inside this directory, you will find a file called wd.bat, open this file with notepad.

Add the following code as the first 3 lines
Code:
REM GDPUTIL
REM    Where is GdPUtil.exe??
SET GDPUTIL=%WD_INSTDIR%\GdPUtil.exe

at the very end of the script you see this line
Code:
"%FOXCMD%" %OPTIONS% "%WD_FILE%" "%PRINTER%"

replace it with this:
Code:
"%GDPUTIL%" -runkill 30 "%FOXCMD%" %OPTIONS% "%WD_FILE%" "%PRINTER%"

The above will start Foxit and gives it 30 seconds time to print the pdf. If you are printing large (or complex) pdf files you can change it to something like 120.

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

Ron
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2014 at 5:08pm

That worked!  Thank you for the quick response.  I'll do some more testing, but I think WD is going to work for us.

Met vriendelijke groeten (that's all I know)

Ron

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1