WatchDirectory home page
WatchDirectory Startseite (Deutsche Version)
Site WatchDirectory (Français)
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Monitor multiple locations with the same task (Read 1238 times)
TonyF
YaBB Newbies

Monitor multiple locations with the same task
Aug 5th, 2016 at 3:13pm

It would be very useful for WatchDirectory to be able to monitor multiple locations with the same task. For example, we want to be able to monitor a folder of the C: drive on multiple (8) instrument PCs and copy certain files to a network data share where the files will be secured and available for backup.

Currently, we will need to develop a task for one of the PCs and then make 7 copies of the task, which are then individually configured to monitor folders on the other PCs. Obviously this takes 8 tasks which uses up quite a lot of resources on the server where the WatchDirectory program is installed. It would be great if WatchDirectory could poll the 8 locations and run the same task when it detects an event.

Many thanks,

Tony

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Re: Monitor multiple locations with the same task
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2016 at 12:40pm

That is a great idea and is actually one of the features we will implement in a future major (v5.0) release of WD. No idea (yet) when work will start on that.

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

Verne

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 9:19pm

TonyF wrote on Aug 5th, 2016 at 3:13pm:
It would be very useful for WatchDirectory to be able to monitor multiple locations with the same task. For example, we want to be able to monitor a folder of the C: drive on multiple (8) instrument PCs and copy certain files to a network data share where the files will be secured and available for backup.

Currently, we will need to develop a task for one of the PCs and then make 7 copies of the task, which are then individually configured to monitor folders on the other PCs. Obviously this takes 8 tasks which uses up quite a lot of resources on the server where the WatchDirectory program is installed. It would be great if WatchDirectory could poll the 8 locations and run the same task when it detects an event.

Many thanks,

Tony

You could simulate this with a batch file and Windows Task Scheduler.  The Windows task could just be set to repeat itself every minute to simulate checking for new files.

The beginning of the batch could check for the existence of files in the 8 locations.  If there are files in one of the folders then do something, else exit.

IP Logged

Verne

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2016 at 9:26pm

Another option would be to create symbolic links to all 8 computers under one root folder on another computer and then have the task monitor sub directories of the one root folder.

EDIT:
I just tested this and it does work.  I created symbolic links to a folder on the C: drive of all my servers to a folder on my local computer.

On my local computer I created a folder on the C: drive named MyServers.
Then from that folder I ran the MKLINK command for each one of my servers.
Code:
C:\MYSERVERS>mklink /D Server1 \\Server1\C$\Folder 

I then setup a Watch Directory task to monitor the MyServers folder and check the box to monitor the sub directories.

IP Logged

Gert
YaBB Administrator

The Netherlands
Reply #4 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 9:10am

Interesting idea...
I bet this only works if you use the "Polling" or "File Age" monitoring method.

Gert Rijs - gert (at) gdpsoftware (dot) com
Blog: http://blog-en.gdpsoftware.com/
End Alzheimer's: http://www.alz.org&&...
WWW WWW GdPSoftware  
IP Logged

Verne

Reply #5 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 8:28pm

Gert wrote on Nov 30th, 2016 at 9:10am:
Interesting idea...
I bet this only works if you use the "Polling" or "File Age" monitoring method.

I had it set for Default.

We normally using Polling for all of our tasks.  For this test I just set it up real quick without thinking of what we use for our standards.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1